Denise Doss is the owner of the madeline & elise boutique www.madelineandelise.com where you can shop for quality, affordable, cute, comfortable and contemporary clothing & accessories to help you feel more confident! Follow Denise on Instagram @madeline_and_elise
Hello, Pro Aging women! Pro Aging. What a concept! Did you ever imagine you would come to a point in your life where Pro Aging was important to you? If you are like me, it never entered your thoughts until recently. My memories from working in Corporate America years ago, told me that people in their late 50’s and 60’s were old. I distinctly remember thinking that at that age, they should retire and let us young people take over. I SERIOUSLY thought that.
And now, here I am today: age 62. I feel as though all of a sudden, almost overnight, my age hit me. I’m not exactly sure when this happened; but, I think it was right after I turned 60.
I realized that I needed to get off my bum and do more with my life. Reading Rachel Hollis’s book Girl, Wash Your Face prompted this attitude change. I adopted these hashtags: #growingoldergrowingbolder, #gracefullyaginggma, #gracefullyagingtribe, #gracefullyaginggmaisbraceletobsessed.
The question was, what was I going to do?
I practiced self-reflection and came to these realizations:
Somewhere along the way, I developed a minimalist attitude shift towards clothing and accessories. While I used to think I ‘needed’ designer purses and shoes, I now realized that I am okay with spending less on ‘things’. What I want to do now, is use my money to create memories. Now I realize this is my path and it may not be yours. If you love designer everything and still have money for creating memories, then that is your path. My intention is not to offend anyone.
I have a passion for helping women who are ‘gracefully aging’ and truly, shouldn’t that be each one of us? Just because you are a grandma, or are the age of one, it certainly doesn’t mean you need to dress like one!
You might already embrace this, but maybe you know people who don’t?
Here are a few random tips from me, the #gracefullyaginggma:
- Wear clothing that makes you feel great – every single day!
- Short sleeve tees: roll sleeves up once; tie it up at the bottom if it is long enough; or use a rubber band or hair tie, grab a bit of fabric underneath toward the bottom and wrap the tie around it. You will then have a cute little area that adds something a bit different to your basic tee!
- Splurge on a great trench coat, quality boots, pants, including jeans that t you perfectly and get them altered if necessary.
- Trendy items: buy and wear sparingly. Choose a fabulous costume jewelry item, scarf, bag or fun shoes. Just do not wear them all together!
- Choose colors that are popular and look good on you (if you don’t know what looks good on you, hire someone who can show you; or think about what items in your closet you feel absolutely great in. Those items are most likely the ones that are ‘your colors’) .
- Don’t know what colors are popular? Google Pantene 2019 colors and you will see; or you could actually go into stores and see what colors are being shown, I guess. For me, though, I’d rather do a Google search on my phone. So much easier and quicker!
- Here’s another tip around colors: If you’re wearing a top or dress that is not your color (such as black perhaps) tie a colorful scarf around your neck, or add a bright, beautiful costume jewelry necklace and then you’ve made it work!
- Finally, find YOUR style; your signature fashion or accessory item. My current signature style is bracelets! I love stacking bracelets each day, depending on my mood. Don’t know yours? Experiment, play, have fun!
We invite you to join the conversation by submitting a comment below.