Interview with Shelly
1. What does pro-aging mean to you?
Pro-aging to me means doing whatever we feel necessary to feel good about ourself whether it’s nothing at all or every cosmetic procedure out there, or something in between. Where ever that confidence comes from. There is no one size fits all. Whatever makes you feel good about you. For me its eating healthy, exercising, good skin care and dabbling with botox. I don’t want to look different or distorted. I want to look like the best 52 year old me that I can.
2. What are the positive aspects of midlife and beyond?
Positive aspects of midlife. I’ve become more confident and comfortable with who I am. I don’t care as much what others think of me. I’ve learned to not worry so much about things I can’t control.
3. What are the challenges?
Challenges of midlife. Physical changes of the body. Hormone changes.
4. What strategies do you use to overcome the challenges?
To overcome the challenges of midlife I eat a healthy diet, get regular exercise, learn to accept and embrace the physical changes of my body as change is inevitable. Having a strong belief in God.
5. What words of wisdom would you have for the younger generations or your younger self?
Words of wisdom to my younger self. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t let others define who you are.
6. How important are your female friends and why?
Female friends are very important. However, growing up I struggled with female friendships. I constantly dealt with jealousy, mean girls and bullying which ultimately led me to be alone a lot. I had more male friends and felt more accepted and comfortable than by female friends. I do not have many friends today and it is really hard sometimes.
7. What fears do you have and what do you do to move past your fears?
Fears I have at this stage I think are like most. We’re on the other side of life. Parents getting older and leaving us. Becoming a widow. Experiencing bad health. But then as mentioned before, change is inevitable. These things are part of life and we have to learn to accept each one as it comes.
8. What do you find most fulfilling at this stage of life?
Most fulfilling. I am very much enjoying retirement. So glad I don’t have to do the 9-5 grind. I get to enjoy grandchildren and just have a different perspective on life.
9. Style is a reflection of who you are. What style reflects you?
Style that reflects me. Casual but polished. Just as comfortable in my distressed overalls as my full length ball gown.
10. What place does nutrition, fitness and wellness have in your life?
Nutrition, fitness and wellness are an essential part of my daily life. Like eating and sleeping.