A fashion revolution is in-progress, leveling every 20th century style standard like a Tsunami in its wake. The results: a fresh space is being filled with the skewed, textured aesthetic of Millennials, picking up where we, as defiant young Boomers during the 60’s and 70’s left off. An intentional sensibility blurring lines and rules, an intersection where rebellion and glam are merging and rising to the fore.
Meet Deborah Sorlie
Fashion, Champion of Women
As a personal stylist, I am very passionate about helping and styling women to look their best in their midlife. My past experiences as a Nordstrom fashion show coordinator, personal shopper, and special event coordinator have led me to where I am today. I love opening that door to new style options for that ageless woman.
Interview with Deborah
1. Firstly, what conflicting thoughts did you battle while approaching midlife and beyond? As I approached midlife, I realized that I had the fantastic opportunity to bring everything together; all that I had experienced and learned in life. I wanted to do something that I loved and that was fashion. That seemed very normal to me; but finding out where I was going to take this was the question.
2. What are the positives of midlife and beyond? I quickly learned that there is a whole community of midlife women eager to learn from and support each other.
3. What are the challenges? I don’t look at them as challenges, but rather stepping stones. They build up my brain and confidence.
4. What strategies do you use to overcome the challenges? I believe that there is an answer out there and you just have to know the right person to ask for help. And in the midst of it, I’m also learning patience.
5. What words of wisdom would you have for the younger generations or your younger self? I would say that there is such a sense of self worth that comes with midlife because of all your life experiences both good and bad.
6. How important are your female friends and why? I love my girlfriends dearly. There is a wonderful connection of support in both the hard times and victories. I strive to be that same friend to them.
7. What attributes would you want in a romantic partner? Humor conquers all with a supporting mixture of kindness, communication, unconditional love, patience and adventure.
8. What do you find most fulfilling at this stage of life? I am so pleased and content as I am actively perusing and going through this new journey in Instagram with fashion. The other thing that is very fulfilling to me is my adult children. I am also very happy that they are fulfilling their dreams. I love developing my relationship with them as adults.
9. What fears do you have and what do you do to move past them? At midlife I do think about getting old and aging. For me, I am embracing my age now! There is so much out there to take care of myself to be healthy. The women of midlife, the generations before us, did not look like the midlife women of today!
10. Style is a reflection of who you are. What style reflects you? I’ve always gravitated towards the “unique and stylish” clothing, never wanting to be the same as everyone else. I love keeping up on the trends and look forward to seeing what’s new.
11. What place does nutrition, fitness and wellness have in your life? What do these look like for you? Leading a healthy lifestyle is very important to me by exercising regularly, even if it’s just a half hour walk, eating well and having a healthy dose of something naughty every now and then!